135-year-old message in a bottle!
Recommended for Preparatory Grades
A bottle with a letter in it is found under the floorboards. The fact that it was written 135 years ago stumped the founder of the bottle.
A plumber in Edinburgh, Scottland was cutting a hole in the floor. He found a bottle with a message written 135 years ago. He couldn’t believe what he saw!
Peter Allan ran straight to the basement to tell the owner of the house what was going on. Eilidh Stimpson had to break the bottle open to get to the note, and she said that both of her children were excited about the find.
- Peter just could not believe his good fortune in cutting through the floor just above the bottle.
- The dimensions of the room where Peter was is 10 feet by 15 feet.
- And he cut precisely around the bottle without being aware that it was there.
- Peter was moving a radiator, and I made a hole in the wall at random to find the plumbing, and there it was.
- According to Mr Allan, it was found underneath what initially would have served as a room for a maid when the house was constructed.
- Eilidh Stimpson, a general practitioner who is also a mother of two, currently resides there with her husband.
- She came to the conclusion that it would be best to wait for her children to return home from school before attempting to extract the note from the bottle.
- Her two children are ages eight and ten.
- She excitedly told her children that a message in a bottle had been found in their house.
- The children were really enthusiastic, and she thinks maybe they believed it was a treasure.
- They made frantic attempts with tweezers and pliers to remove the note from the envelope, but it began to tear in a few places.
- After that, she went and fetched a hammer, and then she crushed the bottle.
- The note had the following text, which was signed and dated by two male workers:
- “James Ritchie and John Grieve lay this floor, but they did not drink the whisky. Whoever discovers this bottle might imagine that our dust is flying along the road,” the note wrote.
Youtube user “Mad Stuff with Rob” teaches us how to make a message in a bottle greeting.
Curious Times is a leading newspaper and website for kids. We publish daily global news aligned to your learning levels (also as per NEP 2020): Foundational, Preparatory (Primary), Middle and Senior. So, check out the News tab for this. We bring kids’ favourite Curious Times Weekly newspaper every weekend with top news, feature stories and kids’ contributions. Also, check out daily JokesPoke, Tongue Twisters, Word of the Day and Quote of the Day, kids need it all the time.
Curious Times News Program for Schools for FREE. Over 5,000 schools and teachers from all over the world have joined our programme so that students and teachers can get FREE Educative Newspaper. Here, kids can take part in world events and win prizes and certificates for free through their schools.
Moreover, schools are sharing important School News, like interviews with the principal, notices about new students, contests, and results, not just on social media but also on a news website for kids and other schools.
Thus, do not wait any further, sign-up for your school for FREE.
0 (Please login to give a Curious Clap to your friend.)