Top 10 space news of 2021
Recommended for Preparatory Grades
Top 10 space news of 2021
All the while, when the earth was fighting COVID-19, there was a lot happening in space. Many new heights were being conquered, discoveries were made and many new inventions took place. Let’s read about some top 10 space news that seeked attention in 2021:
- China set up its own space station- the Tiangong space station. A three-member crew were directed to the new space station which consisted of two men and one woman. Wang Yaping became the second female astronaut from China to go into space.
- Russia based actress Yulia Peresild and director Klim Shipenko shot a film in space. They stayed at the International Space Station(ISS) for 12 days and shot the film.
- NASA launched Lucy on a grand 12-year asteroid tour. Lucy is a mission that is named after a fossilized early human. Lucy mission was directed to study the Jupiter asteroids.
- Kathy Lueders– She became the first woman appointed by NASA as the new head of its human spaceflight division.
- Nora Al-Matrooshi became the first woman from the United Arab Emirates to be selected as an astronaut. She is also the first Arab woman astronaut.
- New Shephard – Blue Origin’s first human spaceflight took off on July 20. The flight was launched from Texas, US and it reached up to an altitude of 107 kilometres above the Karman Line. This line marks the distance between Earth’s atmosphere and space. Wally Funk became the oldest person to travel into space on the New Shephard spaceflight.
- Olive Daemen – 18-year-old boy. He became the youngest person to go into space in the second flight of Blue Origin.
- SpaceX gave us an eventful year. It sent first all civilian crew to space for three days. They wanted to show that anyone can go into space, even if they are not astronauts. This crew had 4 members including one pilot and three other people who were not astronauts.
- ISRO had its first space launch in 2021. The main satellite of the launch was Brazil’s Amazonia-1 satellite. ISRO launched the PSLV-C51 rocket from the Sriharikota spaceport in Andhra Pradesh. Other satellites in launch included 5 satellites created by the students. One of them was called “Satish Dhawan Satellite” (SDSAT). Other satellites included in the launch were “UNITYsat“, and the satellite “SindhuNetra“.
- James Webb telescope: The James Webb telescope launched on 25th December 2021 after much delay. The telescope will study our Solar System. James Webb Telescope is regarded as the successor of the Hubble telescope.
Do you like to read about space news? Tell us which topic interests you the most while you study Space.
Curious Times brings to you the Curious Times Weekly with the top news of the week. You can also check out The Curious Magazine, the first children’s magazine with all the great content by the children, for the children. We would love for you, dear children, to write and get your stories, art, thoughts and more published at My Expressions. Write to us at email@example.com.You can also follow us on WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn.
0 (Please login to give a Curious Clap to your friend.)