Dharwad Pedha – Eat Street!
Recommended for Foundational Grades
Dharwad Pedha is an Indian sweet which originated in Dharwad in Karnataka. Hence the name.
- This special pedha’s history goes back 175 years.
- It has also been recognised and given a Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- This pedha is brown and made by hand over many hours, using only milk and sugar.
- A man in Dharwad named Babu Singh Thakur invented this iconic sweet and started selling it under Babu Singh Thakur pedha.
- The sweet became so popular that a few years ago, the shop had to restrict customers from buying more than half a kg per person!
- Mr Thakur’s family still runs the same shop and they make about 700-800 kg of pedha every day.
- Babu Singh Thakur pedha has won many medals and awards.
- Of course, apart from this family, other shops now make and sell Dharwad pedha.
You should make sure to taste this sweet when you get a chance!
Youtube user “Nisha Madhulika” teaches us how to make Dharwad Pedha.
Curious Times is a leading newspaper and website for kids. We publish daily global news aligned to your learning levels (also as per NEP 2020): Foundational, Preparatory (Primary), Middle and Senior. So, check out the News tab for this. We bring kids’ favourite Curious Times Weekly newspaper every weekend with top news, feature stories and kids’ contributions. Check out daily JokesPoke, Tongue Twisters, Word of the Day and Quote of the Day, kids need it all the time.
ME – My Expressions at Curious Times is your place to get your work published, building your quality digital footprint. And it is a good way to share your talent and skills with your friends, family, school, teachers and the world. Thus, as you will step into higher educational institutes your published content will showcase your strength.
Events, Quizzes and Competitions bring students from over 5,000 schools globally to participate in the 21st-Century themes. Here schools and students win certificates, prizes and recognition through these global events.
Sign-up for your school for FREE!
Communicate with us: WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
0 (Please login to give a Curious Clap to your friend.)